LONGUEVAL - SOMME - FRANCE
NATIONAL COAT OF ARMS
1. The Motto. Written in the Khoisan language of the /Xam people, literally meaning : diverse people unite.
2. The ears of Wheat. An emblem of fertility.
3. Elephant tusks. Elephants symbolise wisdom, strength, moderation et eternity.
4. The Shield. It has a dual function as a vehicle for the display of identity and of spiritual defence.
5. The human figures. The figures are derived from images on the Linton stone, a world famous example of South African Rock Art.
6. The spear and knobkierie. Dual symbols of defence and authority. They are lying down, symbolising peace.
7. The Protea. Emblem of the beauty of the South African land.
8. The Secretary Bird in flight. Symbol of growth and speed.
9. The rising Sun. Emblem of brightness, splendour and the supreme principle of the nature of energy.