History page

Visit of Delville Wood


Four Victoria Crosses were awarded during the Battle of Delville Wood.


William Frederick FAULDS, V.C.


1stSouth African Infantry Regiment

18th-20th July 1916.

A bombing party came under very heavy rifle and machine-gun fire and the majority were killed or wounded, including the lieutenant in charge, who lay unable to move midway between the two lines of trench. In full daylight Private Faulds, accompanied by two other men, climbed over the parapet, ran out, picked up the officer and carried him back. Two days later private Faulds went out alone, under intense artillery fire, and brought in a wounded man and then rejoined his platoon.


Joseph John DAVIES, V.C.


10th Bataillon, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers

20th July 1916

Corporal Davies and eight men were surrounded during an ennemy counter-attack. Taking cover in a shell hole, they repulsed the attackers with grenades and rapid fire. He then followed up the retreating party of Germans and bayoneted several of them. All the officers had become casualties, Corporal Davies, badly wounded on the shoulder, took charge and led two attacks and kept a tight control of the reserves.


Oswald Albert HILL, V.C.


10th Bataillon, The Royal Welsh Fusiliers

20th July 1916

When the battalion had deployed under very heavy fire for an attack he dashed forward when the order to charge was given. He met two of the enemy suddenly, bayoneted them both. He was sent later by his platoon sergeant to get in touch with the company, and finding himself cut off and almost surrounded by some twenty of the enemy, attacked them with bombs, killing and wounding many and scattering the remainder. He then joined a sergeant and helped him to find the way back to the lines. When he got back, hearing that his Company Officer and a scout were lying out wounded, he went out and assisted in bringing in the wounded officer, two other men bringing in the scout. Finally, he himself captured and brought in as prisoners two of the enemy.


Albert GILL, V.C.


1st Bataillon, KRRC

Buried at Delville Wood Cemetery

27th July 1916

The enemy made a very strong counter-attack on the right flank of the battalion and rushed the bombing post after killing all the company bombers. Sergeant Gill rallied the remnants of his platoon, none of whom were skilled bombers, and reorganised his defences. Soon afterwards the enemy nearly surrounded his men and started sniping at about 20 yards range. Although it was almost certain death, Sergeant Gill stood boldly up in order to direct the fire of his men. He was killed almost at once, but his gallant action held up the enemy advance.